he aim of this first meeting was to recognise the absolute need to protect the integrity of sports competition, notably by combating irregular and illegal betting.
The participants first compiled a list of the measures currently in force to confront this problem.
After having discussed the respective initiatives in terms of protecting the integrity of sports competition, the participants agreed to examine the following points:
- The necessity and possibilities for governments, international organisations and sports betting operators to support the sports world in its efforts to protect the integrity of sports competitions;
- The various means to strengthen cooperation between themselves to fight more effectively against all forms of cheating in sport, particularly those linked to irregular and illegal betting;
- The various existing systems, national laws, self-regulating systems and implementation methods, in order to identify effective methods for cross-border cooperation;
- The various existing systems of enforcement, punishment and measures in terms of education;
- Appropriate methods of funding to support the efforts of the sports movement to protect the integrity of competitions.
The participants of this first meeting have decided to create a working group, made up of representatives of the sports movement, governments, international organisations and betting operators in order to examine the points above and formulate initial conclusions on the measures to be taken between now and the end of 2011.