International edition
June 16, 2021

Danville City Council approved the addition of a C-E casino entertainment zoning district

Caesars Virginia casino closer to open in Danville

Caesars Virginia casino closer to open in Danville
Danville City Council also approved the transfer of casino funds for various projects. These are from the $15 million one-time payment made by Caesars Entertainment in December.
United States | 05/06/2021

The Council unanimously voted Tuesday to approve an amendment to the city’s zoning ordinance establishing the new district. Caesars hopes to finish the permitting process in November and break ground in December. The firm is now in the conceptual design phase of its planned project.

B

y amending Chapter 41 of the Danville City Code, to allow for the future Caesars casino, Danville City Council approved the addition of a C-E casino entertainment zoning district on Tuesday evening.

According to the district details, casino gaming establishments have “unique needs” for lighting,  although, must not interfere with any public roadways, and comply with the code of Virginia. Upwardly directed lighting can be used to illuminate buildings, structures, and landscapes, and awnings can be internally illuminated. Searchlights must avoid directing a beam at any building, and they cannot operate between midnight and 5 p.m.

When measured at the property line of a residential zone. The exterior noise limits cannot exceed 70 dBA between 9 a.m. and 12 a.m. Landscaped buffers will be used along property lines next to a residential zoning district.

Caesars officials were present at the meeting, and Robert Livingston, senior vice president, said the company has enjoyed the warm welcome Danville has given them and thanked them for selecting Caesars.

“I understand what a project like this means to the community. “We’re excited to be a part of it. We’re going to work very hard to make sure that the decision that was made to select Caesars, that you’re going to be proud of that decision,” Livingston said, as reported by Star Tribune.

Caesars hopes to finish the permitting process in November and break ground in December. The company is in the conceptual design phase.

Besides, the council approved the transfer of casino funds for various projects. These funds are from the $15 million one-time payment made by Caesars Entertainment in December and include the previously approved $5 million for a new police headquarters. The resolution passed also included $1.1 million in neighborhood revitalization funds to address blight, $2 million for school renovations, $1.3 million for the George Washington High School track, $200,000 for economic development tourism, and $1.3 million for a local match for a grant.

Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.