International edition
November 27, 2020

As of Monday

Canada: casinos, bingo halls forced to close for two weeks in Winnipeg

Canada: casinos, bingo halls forced to close for two weeks in Winnipeg
In accordance with Manitoba Public Health orders, Club Regent Casino, McPhillips Station Casino (image), and the Shark Club Gaming Centre are closed.
Canada | 10/20/2020

The new restriction announced last week by Manitoba Public Health officials also includes bars. The measures were prompted by growing community transmission of the COVID-19.

C

asinos, bars and bingo halls will be closed for the next two weeks under tighter COVID-19 restrictions coming to the greater Winnipeg area in the province of Manitoba, Canada.

Manitoba’s chief public officer of health, Dr. Brent Roussin, said the changes become effective as of Monday, Global News reports. He said the tighter restrictions will allow restaurants and lounges to remain open, but capacity will now be capped at 50 percent. Table sizes must be kept to no more than five people under broader restrictions that bring maximum gathering sizes down from 10 down to five across the board.

Retail stores will also have capacity reduced to 50 percent, Roussin said, and spectator areas at sporting events will be cut to 25 percent capacity.

Health officials say the measures were prompted by growing community transmission of the novel coronavirus, and data that shows many cases have been connected to people socializing in bars, restaurants and homes.

The Winnipeg region was already under stricter rules than the rest of the province after case numbers started spiking in late summer. The province moved the city and surrounding area into the orange-level restriction at the end of September, reducing gathering sizes and making masks mandatory in all indoor public places.

The province reported 75 new COVID-19 cases Friday — a sharp drop from earlier in the week — and there are were no new deaths for the first time in five days. Manitoba reported 173 new cases Thursday, 146 new cases Wednesday, and 124 new cases Tuesday. Roussin said all the new restrictions will be enforced under the law, and the province plans on stepping up enforcement.

Ontario declared new standards that will take effect in York region, north of Toronto, starting on Monday. The province will follow the cities of Ottawa, Toronto and nearby Peel region in shutting casinos, indoor dining, gyms and fitness centres.

As of last Friday, Loto-Québec temporarily suspended several of its activities in the Montérégie, Centre-du-Québec and Capitale-Nationale regions, including the closure of Casino de Charlevoix. The regions south and northeast of Montreal and the Charlevoix region near Quebec City were forced to close casinos, bars, gyms and other venues and ban indoor and outdoor private gatherings.

Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.