International edition
December 04, 2020

In an attempt to tackle the ongoing economic crisis and eventually open this market

Argentina increases online gaming tax to offset national deficit

Argentina increases online gaming tax to offset national deficit
According to Guzmán's proposal, 95% of the tax collection will be allocated to the different provinces and the remaining 5% will be used to finance the government-owned telecommunications company Arsat’s plans.
Argentina | 10/23/2020

Economy Minister Martín Guzmán has submitted some amendments to the 2021 national budget set to be discussed by the Argentine Congress next week, which include an increase in the current online gambling tax rate, from 2% to 5%. The proceeds would be allocated among each of the provinces.

E

conomy Minister Martín Guzmán has added to Argentina’s 2021 budget bill an increase in the online betting tax rate and explained that Enacom —the national communications and media regulator— would oversee mobile betting and will be in charge of developing a domain name registry.

It is estimated that online gambling generates about USD 2.4 million annually, but since most companies operate “illegally” due to a lack of regulations, the state receives almost anything in tax revenue or fees.

According to the Minister’s proposal, 95% of the tax collection will be allocated to the different provinces and the remaining 5% will be used to finance the government-owned telecommunications company Arsat’s plans.

If approved, the amendments would raise the tax rate from 2% to 5% "on the basis of the gross value of each bet and/or game" and such rate increases to 10% if a company based in a jurisdiction deemed as a tax haven under the law is involved.

The wording of the law seeks to include as taxable items any type of digital platform, regardless of the users’ device.

Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.