uring a press conference held last week on Wednesday afternoon, the Peruvian government announced during a press conference that Lima and Callao provinces have once again entered the level of extreme risk due to COVID-19. There is a total of 41 provinces that will enter this level of alert beginning April 19th.
Prime Minister Violeta Bermudez, said that the new measures would take place starting Monday 19th until May 9. The curfew will be in force from 9pm in the evening until 4am in the morning. Moreover, transportation capacity will be reduced with all interprovincial road transport, stores, malls and restaurants. Regarding the gambling industry, said decision forces the closure of casinos and slots that had reopened recently. They will have to close down again since casinos and slots are among the list of establishments not allowed to operate in this level of contagion.
A few days ago, Bermudez announced that in the last few weeks COVID-19 cases not only didn’t decrease but increased significantly, the same was observed with the daily COVID-19 decays. “We are sorry to inform that the level of contagion hasn’t only not gone down but, in the last week, the death rate has increased a 43,9%,” said Bermudez this past Wednesday.
The provinces that starting this Monday are considered of extreme risk are Lima, Callao, Chachapoyas, Abancay, Andahuaylas, Caylloma, Huaraz, Casma, Huarmey, Huamanga, Huanta, Cutervo, Jaén, Cusco, Anta, La Convención, Quispicanchi, Urubamba, Huancavelica, Nazca, Pisco, Ica, Chanchamayo, Tarma, Yauli, Chiclayo, Trujillo, Santiago de Chuco, Barranca, Virú, Huaura, Cañete, Huaral, Lima Metropolitana, Callao, Tambopata, Piura, Sullana, Puno, Moyobamba, Rioja, Zarumilla and Coronel Portillo.