International edition
September 20, 2020

Commission members discussed the matter on Thursday by teleconference

Massachusetts regulator won't allow roulette and craps over COVID-19 concerns

Massachusetts regulator won't allow roulette and craps over COVID-19 concerns
MGM Springfield. Casinos in the state are already allowed to offer slot machines and blackjack.
United States | 08/14/2020

The Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided to reject a request by casinos to restart roulette and craps games, which have not been allowed since casinos were authorized to reopen last month.

C

iting concerns about a recent trend of increased COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts, the State Gaming Commission has decided to reject a request by casinos to restore roulette and craps to their gaming options.

Casinos are already allowed to offer slot machines and blackjack.

Commission members said they are very pleased with staff reports that MGM Springfield, Encore Boston Harbor and Plainridge Park are complying with the commission’s guidelines for COVID-19 safety precautions, but do not believe adding to the games is prudent at this time, Massachusetts Live reports.

"We’ll always be monitoring the public health metrics," said Cathy Judd-Stein, commission chairwoman.

Commission members said the decision not to expand gaming was tied to a significant increase in COVID-19 cases in some Massachusetts communities. Gov. Charlie Baker announced last Friday that the state will indefinitely postpone entering the second step of Phase 3 of the state reopening plan due to the uptick in cases.

The request to add roulette and craps will remain on the table for future discussions, Stein said.

Poker is also not being allowed at this time, the commission said, as recommended by commission staff.

A staff representative said poker would have to be limited to no more than four players to make it safe for employees and players. It would be, at best, marginally profitable for the casinos at that low number, he said.

Commission members Enrique Zuniga, Bruce Stebbins and Eileen O’Brien joined Judd-Stein in voting against expanding the gaming options. Commissioner Gayle Cameron was absent from the meeting.

O’Brien said the commission is being “appropriately cautious” in its approach.

Commission staff representatives said the casinos are being diligent in enforcing regulations such as staff and patrons wearing masks with some exceptions such as when dining, drinking or outdoors, and patrons not walking about with drinks.

There are also plexiglass dividers, distancing at slot machines, and other measures to protect against the spread of the virus, as mandated by the commission.

The regulations that keep the numbers of patrons to roughly one-third of capacity are also being followed, the staff said.

Judd-Stein said she continues to be “very pleased with compliance.”

The American Gaming Commission reported on Thursday that U.S. commercial gaming revenue for the second quarter of 2020 totaled $2.3 billion, reflecting a 78.8% year-over-year contraction, tied to the coronavirus pandemic.

“COVID-19 has undoubtedly posed the most difficult economic challenges the gaming industry has ever faced,” said AGA President and CEO Bill Miller.

Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.