International edition
September 28, 2021

In statements to media

Worst not yet over in Macau, says billionaire Casino Chairman

Worst not yet over in Macau, says billionaire Casino Chairman
It’s still too early to say Macau’s USD 29B casino industry is rebounding, even after August’s bump in revenue halted a two-year decline, said the billionaire chairman of Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd., the biggest operator there, Bloomberg reporte
Macau | 09/07/2016

It’s still too early to say Macau’s USD 29B casino industry is rebounding, even after August’s bump in revenue halted a two-year decline, said the billionaire chairman of Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd., the biggest operator there, Bloomberg reported.

L

ui Che-Woo wants to see more-sustained growth before deciding the worst is over, and he believes the best strategy for achieving that is to target mainstream gamblers rather than VIPs, he said in an interview. That would dovetail with government efforts to turn the world’s biggest gambling hub into more of a destination for middle-class tourists.

“While Macau’s gambling industry has hit the bottom, it’s still too early to call it a recovery,” Lui, 87, said. “Give me two more years to see. It takes time to gradually attract more mass-market customers.”

Galaxy overtook Sheldon Adelson’s Sands China Ltd. as the market leader with 23 percent share in the first half of 2016, helped by new family-friendly resorts such as Galaxy Macau’s second phase and Broadway Macau. Lui’s net worth has increased by 10 percent so far this year to $7.7 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Lui is opting to remain cautious even as Sands’s Adelson and MGM Resorts International Chief Executive Officer James Murren both said that a Macau gambling recovery is underway

Galaxy’s shares have risen 12 percent this year, compared with a 13 percent gain in the Bloomberg Intelligence Macau gaming index.

Macau last month reversed a 26-month decline in gaming revenue with a 1.1 percent increase to 18.8 billion patacas ($2.4 billion), according to the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau. The correction came despite China’s economic slowdown and a crackdown on corruption, contributing to a 16 percent drop in revenue from high-end gamblers during the second quarter of the year.

“There have been strong signs that the market has stabilized, especially the mass market,” said Richard Huang, an analyst with Nomura International in Hong Kong. “Yet the real question is how strong the growth will be.”

Those doubts stem partly from the increasing competition. Wynn Macau Ltd.’s $4.2 billion Wynn Palace opened last month, and Sands China’s Parisian will debut next week. MGM China Holdings Ltd. also plans a new resort in Cotai within coming months.
Galaxy wants to boost revenue from recreational gamblers by as much as 20 percent during the next two years, Lui said.

The company last month reported profit that beat analysts’ estimates after opening the city’s first new resorts in three years. It plans to build a theme park and an arena to help lure more families

“In the past, everyone hoped to have more high-end clients,” Lui said. “Now the number of VIP gamblers has dropped. We’ve provided more new facilities to catch the attention of the mass market.”
Lui demurred when asked about the casino operators’ prospects for having their licenses renewed when they start expiring in 2020.

“It is the government that judges whether we are doing a good job, and it will decide how to deal with the licenses during the renewal,” he said.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook