International edition
September 23, 2020

Sports betting revenue up 15% year-on-year

Denmark's betting, online casino revenue climbs in Q2

Denmark's betting, online casino revenue climbs in Q2
The Danish Gambling Authority, Spillemyndigheden, posted information about the second-quarter gross gaming revenue generated by sports betting and online casino operators providing their options to local gambling customers.
Denmark | 09/02/2016

The Danish Gambling Authority, Spillemyndigheden, posted information about the second-quarter gross gaming revenue generated by sports betting and online casino operators providing their options to local gambling customers.

T

he country liberalized its online gambling market in 2012, thus opening it to multiple international gambling companies. Many consider the Danish regulated iGaming market a good example of the benefits proper regulation can bring to players, operators, and governments.

The country’s gambling regulator reported overall betting and online casino gross gaming revenue of DKK935 million for the three months ended June 30, 2016, up from the amount of DKK805 million generated during the same quarter of the previous year.

Sports betting revenue totaled DKK540 million for the period in review, up 15% year-on-year. Online sports betting operations generated a total of DKK355 million in gross gaming revenue. Online offering accounted for 65.5% of the country’s overall sports betting market.

Gross gaming revenue from online casino games, including poker, amounted to DKK395 million, up from the DKK335 million posted for the same three months of 2015

Online casino, excluding poker, totaled DKK355 million, compared to DKK295 million generated in the second quarter of the previous year. Poker revenue remained flat, totaling DKK40 million.

Gaming machines, or online slot games, held the biggest online casino market share during the reported quarter. Revenue from those accounted for 68% of the overall figure posted. Poker accounted for 10% of quarterly gross gaming revenue. Roulette offering held a 6% share. Revenue from blackjack represented 5% of overall proceeds generated during the three months in review. Other games held an 11% market share.

Apart from sports betting and online casino operations, local gambling customers were also offered certain land-based gaming options. There were around 25,500 gaming machines to be located in gaming arcades and restaurants around Denmark during this year’s second quarter. Gross gaming revenue from those totaled DKK400 million, down from the DKK415 million reported for the same quarter of the previous year.

There are also seven land-based casinos to be operating within the country’s borders. They generated a total of DKK100 million during the three months ended June 30, 2016. In comparison, the amount of DKK90 million was posted for the same quarter of the previous year.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook