International edition
June 21, 2021

Operations in China, Hong Kong and Malaysia

Macau police close illegal World Cup bookmakers

(Macau).- Police in Macau have uncovered and broken up two illegal gambling syndicates that have taken hundreds of millions of dollars in bets on the 2014 FIFA World Cup.26 people were arrested from mainland China, Hong Kong and Malaysia.

P

olice said bookmakers had been taking telephone and online bets from punters across the world, with evidence suggesting that one punter had placed a single bet of more than US$ 5 million. Police carried out two separate raids on the hotel, with the first sweep uncovering a gambling syndicate that had been operating out of three rooms in the hotel.

Regulators in partnership with the Chinese province of Guangdong, as well as Hong Kong and Macau police have set up a task force in order to work with Interpol across eight Asian countries.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph newspaper and UK commercial broadcaster Channel 4 have alleged that the president of the Ghana Football Association agreed for the country’s national team to take part in international matches that were to be rigged.

The accusation comes as a result of an undercover investigation into football associations working with criminal gangs looking to fix scores in international games.

Telegraph reporters and a former FIFA investigator posed as individuals from an investment company that wanted to ‘sponsor’ games and met with registered FIFA agent Christopher Forsythe and Obed Nketiah, a senior figure in the Ghanaian FA, to discuss fixing matches.

An agreed to contract stated that it would cost US$ 100,000 for each match organised by the fixers involving Ghana and would allow the bogus investment company to appoint match officials, breaching FIFA rules.

At a later meeting, the reporters were introduced to Ghana FA president Kwesi Nyantakyi, who in turn approved the contract and agreed to a trial game, identifying two months in which it could take place.

Speaking to the BBC in response to the report, Nyantakyi said: “The contents of the publication are not wholly true.

I have not agreed to any match-fixing deal involving the FA.I was given a draft contract which I indicated to their agent that I hadn't read and I also had some issues with it and so it will be premature for anybody to say the FA is at fault.”

The Ghanaian FA also confirmed it has instructed the Ghana Police Service to investigate both Forsythe and Nketiah for “misrepresenting the GFA with an attempt to defraud”.

The matter has also been reported to FIFA and the Confederation of African Football governing bodies. Elsewhere, two businessmen and a footballer convicted of plotting to fix football matches in England have been handed jail sentences.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook