han said the venues’ plans were being studied and that all 14 gaming venues submitted their reduction plans “on time”. “Our timetable [to confirm the penalties] is within this month and I hope we can have the latest information ready for the public very soon.”
Chan said he would not estimate how long it could take for the process to run.
Since Starting January 1 last year, gaming venues were allowed to set up smoking areas covering up to half of their gaming floors. Two rounds of air quality tests identified 16 gaming venues with smoke-polluted air, including two slot parlours that have already closed.
The bureau said in November these venues would be penalised by a 10-percent reduction in their smoking areas. It had previously said six gaming venues operating under the licence of Sociedade de Jogos de Macau SA had not submitted a plan to comply with the penalty before the deadline on 5.45pm on December 10.
Chan said the six venues had submitted their plans during working hours but the bureau had only been able to verify it had the plans after 5.45pm.