himmin, in his written reply to the question from David Callister MLC, said that 1,00 copies of the invitation document were printed with more than 300 direct mailings sent out to targeted global hotel, casino and resort operators. An advertisement was also placed in the Financial Times.
Deadline for expressions of interest was set at January 31 this year and by that date, seven had been received. Shimmin said: ‘At this stage in the process, and despite a requirement in the invitations document, the department considered that it had insufficient information to evaluate the seriousness, capability, expertise or financial soundness of the potential developers.
‘The next stage in the process was to be a full tender submission. However, before doing so, the department decided to invite each party to answer a key facts questionnaire and to make a short presentation. At the end of this process, only one expression of interest remained.’
He added: ‘The Council of Ministers has since requested the Department of Economic Development to purse the progress of the project with the interested party to identify its viability.’