International edition
September 28, 2021

Wynn Resorts accused him of making improper payments to regulators

Billionaire Kazuo Okada to pursue casino project in Philippines

(Philippines).- Billionaire Kazuo Okada said he will "vigorously" pursue his casino project in the country. "I intend to vigorously continue my us$ 2 billion investment," the Japanese businessman said in a statement read to lawmakers in Manila this week.

"

Rest assured that I will be able to prove that all of the accusations are baseless and are lies that have been blown out of proportion," he added.

The Las Vegas-based casino company has accused Okada of giving more than us$ 110,000 in payments and gifts to Philippines officials, including chief gambling regulator Cristino Naguiat.

Universal Entertainment, where Okada is a chairman and owned a 20 percent stake in Wynn Resorts, said in September it would open a casino and hotel in Manila by December 2013. Wynn forcibly redeemed Universal's stake on February 19 and its Macau unit ousted Okada from its board for his "unacceptable conduct" on Friday.

Philippine President Benigno Aquino also ordered a probe and said a Cabinet committee will investigate Naguiat, who allegedly received free hotel accommodations through Okada. 

Universal Entertainment is targeting us$ 1.86 billion in sales from the Philippines project in the first year of operations, Okada said in an interview in September.

Okada's project is part of the casino and leisure complex being developed by the government-owned Philippine Amusement & Gaming, known as Entertainment City. Okada is one of four developers who won a license to operate and invest in that complex.

"I am deeply remorseful as to how the controversy managed to besmirch this country's reputation," Okada said, apologizing for pulling the country into a "personal" controversy between him and Steve Wynn, chairman and chief executive of the U.S. casino operator. The statement was read out by Masahiro Terada, president of Tiger Resorts, Leisure and Entertainment, the Philippine unit of Universal. Okada had vowed to take legal action against the allegations.

The Philippines plans to review the role of PAGCOR as part of its investigation, President Aquino's spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, told reporters last Monday in Manila. Philippine Amusement is both a casino operator and regulator.

Naguiat last week said he had done "nothing inappropriate" and said the allegations were "outrageous, politically motivated and untrue." At a congressional hearing Monday, he called himself the victim of "a boardroom war."

Okada, his associates and companies made three dozen improper payments between May 2008 and June 2011, including one for a four-day stay for Naguiat in the most expensive room at Wynn Resorts Macau, according to a 47-page report commissioned by Wynn.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook