International edition
September 21, 2020

It is hoped that us$ 350 million in revenue will be earned each year for the state

US: Massachusetts gives green light to casinos

(US).- While the Massachusetts Senate was celebrating the passing of a bill that would essentially legalize three casinos in the state, behind the scene pressure has already started to reconcile the measure with a plan that the House has previously enacted. The deadline for this reconciliation is July 31st – before the legislature adjourns.

T

he bill will allow the construction of three casinos – in the Greater Boston area, the southeast and the Commonwealth. These establishments would operate in direct competition with the Indian resort casinos in Connecticut in a bid to raise revenue for state coffers.

According to Democratic Senate President Therese Murray who issued a statement after the bill was passed, it is hoped that around us$ 350 million in revenue will be earned each year for Massachusetts. Further, it is believed that 15,000 permanent jobs will be created, with 9,000 extra people finding work in construction.

Besides the revenues from casinos, secondary income could be derived from tourist resorts and hotels that would spring up around them. A study that was commissioned by the Senate showed that as much as us$ 250 million extra in revenue could be reaped by these attractions.

The competing plan that has already been enacted by the House was introduced by Governor Deval Patrick and supports the creation of two casinos and the introduction of 750 video lottery terminals at racing tracks in the state.

It is hoped that all the parties involved in both bills will be able to reach a compromise before the deadline arrives at the end of this month. “Passing expanded gaming legislation is vital to creating jobs and economic growth in Massachusetts,” said House Speaker Robert DeLeo.

The Senate said that 90% of the revenue from casinos would be divided equally among three vital causes: economic development in the state, debt repayment and the lottery fund. The other 10% would be used for racetrack relief, among other things.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook