International edition
September 23, 2021

Lobbyist John Radcliffe said a single casino in Hawai'i could generate us$ 350 million annually

Legislation would allow casino operations on Hawaiian Home Lands

(Hawaii).- Casino operations could take place on Hawaiian Home Lands under a bill that advanced out of the House Hawaiian Affairs Committee. The state Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and Hawaiian Homes Commission said they oppose House Bill 2759 but several others supported the idea.

T

he bill calls for 80 % of revenues generated from gambling operations to go toward development of Hawaiian Homes communities. The remaining 20 % would be deposited into the state general fund.

The commission and department have long been criticized for being slow to meet their main charge of delivering housing opportunities for those with 50 % or more Hawaiian blood. There were an estimated 25,000 people on the waiting list for home opportunities as of December 31, DHHL executive assistant Robert Hall reported. House Hawaiian Affairs Chairwoman Mele Carroll, a bill co-sponsor, pointed out that while DHHL receives us$ 30 million annually for state use of Hawaiian Home Lands, that money runs out after 2014.

Allowing the commission to set up casinos in Hawaiian Homes communities it deems proper could help make up for that lost money and possibly provide significantly more. "This is a mechanism to allow for the Hawaiian Homes Commission to consult with their beneficiaries," Carroll said.

Carroll visited the Tulalip Resort Casino in Washington, about 30 minutes outside of Seattle. "We know that our people love to gamble," Carroll said after the meeting. "It is part of our culture. Not for all, but for some."

Hall said DHHL is projected to generate about us$ 20 million on lease rents and other revenues annually. Lobbyist John Radcliffe, a longtime supporter of legalizing gambling in Hawai'i, said a 2000 study estimated a single casino in Hawai'i could generate as much as us$ 350 million annually.

Radcliffe said Hawai'i residents spend billions on illegal gambling locally and at casinos in other states. That money could be used to create jobs and wealth here, he said. Kale Gumapac, of the Native Hawaiian group Kanaka Council Moku O Keawe, said he also went on the Tulalip trip and came away impressed by first-class medical and dental facilities that had been built for the Tulalip tribes with the proceeds from the operation of its casino.

Gumapac said tribal leaders told him without the money, the quality of life for the tribes would regress to that of the 1930s. Hawaiian Homes Commission Chairman Kaulana Park, in written testimony, said his agency is "concerned about the potential disadvantages associated with gaming like negative impacts to local businesses, difficulties with and cost of regulation, and social costs which may unintentionally cause a negative impact to our beneficiaries and the state."

Park added: "We cannot support an initiative like this that would work against the rehabilitation of Native Hawaiians as envisioned by our founder, Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana'ole."

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook