International edition
September 24, 2021

The company expects to open a new casino resort in Pennsylvania

Las Vegas Sands swings to fourth-quarter loss

(US).- Las Vegas Sands Corp swung to a fourth-quarter loss as earnings at its Las Vegas operations sank 81 %. The company operates the Palazzo and Venetian resorts as well as the Sands Expo and Convention Center on the Las Vegas Strip, and has two casinos in Macau.

C

hief Operating Officer William P Weidner said the company is focused on maximizing cash flow from its Las Vegas and Macau casinos, completing projects in Singapore and in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and trying to sell noncore assets.

The company expects to open a new casino resort in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in late May or early June, and said construction of its Singapore integrated resort is 40 per cent complete and should open between December 2009 and January 2010.

But Sands has suspended work on other projects until the operating and financing environments improve. Weidner added that Sands’ target for cost savings has been increased to us$ 250 million a year.

Last year, Sands’ billionaire chief executive Sheldon G Adelson loaned the company us$ 475 million so it could avoid breaking the terms of a us$ 5 billion credit facility. Sands reported a fourth-quarter net loss of us$ 111.3 million compared with year-earlier net income of us$ 39.9 million.

The latest results included a us$ 37.6 million write-down primarily related to assets associated with business development activities in Asia. Total revenue rose 7.7 per cent to us$ 1.19 billion, and revenue, minus promotional allowances, grew 4.3 per cent to us$ 1.09 billion.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook