International edition
June 23, 2021

It said many of the workers would be offered alternative employment

Macau's Venetian sacks further 500 staff as credit crunch bites

(Macau).- Macau’s giant Venetian casino owned by troubled Las Vegas Sands has sacked 500 staff, the company said in a statement, the latest sign of the firms’ struggles to deal with the global credit crunch.

T

he Venetian, a massive hotel and casino complex billed as the cornerstone of a new Las Vegas-style strip, has cut the weekly working week for its casino workers, and laid off 500 staff, the firm said in a statement.

"The company has adopted a series of measures to control operating cost in all business areas, including letting go approximately 500 employees across all levels who are not Macau residents," a Venetian spokesman said. "(These include) about 100 management-grade expatriate employees in gaming operations," the statement, released late Monday said.

It said many of the workers would be offered alternative employment at the firm’s new casino project in Singapore. Last month, the US-based firm said it was firing up to 11,000 mainly construction staff as it halted work at a new 6,400-room resort close to the Venetian. The firm said it was delaying the development until it could secure additional funds for the us$ 3.7 billion project.

Reports said William Weidner, Sands global president, also blamed the Chinese government’s decision to reduce the number of visitors to Macau for the delay. Las Vegas Sands’ US-listed share price has collapsed from around us$ 148 last October to less than six dollars on worries about its heavy debt levels.

What is your opinion about this article?
  • I like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I don't like it
    %
    0 votos
  • I have not thought about it
    %
    0 votos
Leave your comment
Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates
Enter a valid email
Complete the captcha
Thank you for registering to our newsletter.
Follow us on Facebook